Smoking Is Injurious To Health – Some Important Tips
Everyone knows the ill effects of smoking. From kids to adults, all are aware of the health hazards that smoking causes. Yet people addicted to smoking find it hard to give up this habit. This is probably because of nicotine, the addictive substance found in cigarettes. The ill effects of smoking are numerous; thus, one must adopt a planned method to quit smoking.
Here are some tips that can help you to quit smoking.
- First, make up your mind. Honor your commitment and get yourself registered in a smoke-quitting program or visit a counselor or hypnotherapist.
- Make a list of the reasons why you want to quit smoking and go through it every time you crave a cigarette.
- Write ten good things about smoking and ten bad things about smoking. You will notice the difference in the good and the bad. This really helps.
- Buy yourself a nicotine inhaler or Zyban. This will make it a bit easier to give up smoking.
- Get audiotapes and books related to quit smoking. Read through them and enlighten yourself about all the ill effects of smoking.
- Consult your doctor if you face seizures or any other complications.
- Get your friends and family to support you and help you give up smoking.
- Try to eat fruits, chewing gum, lollipops, hard candy or cinnamon sticks if urge for smoking arises. Try replacing nicotine with other non-addictive stuff.
- Keep your mind occupied with creative activities such as knitting, embroidery or carpentry. Take a brisk walk, go for a swim or some other physical activity. This will help to keep your mind off smoking.
- You may gain some weight while trying to quit smoking. This is because one tends to feel hungry when initially trying to give up smoking. However, this minor problem can be easily handled through regular exercise.
- In the first few days after quitting, drink plenty of water. This washes away the nicotine and other harmful toxins from your body.
- Give up coffee and other carbonated drinks when trying to quit smoking.
- Ask people around you to stop smoking along with you. This will not only help you to deal with the craving for a cigarette, but give you somebody to talk to about how hard quitting is.
- Take long deep breaths every time you feel like smoking. When you slowly inhale, feel the fresh air reach deep inside you. While exhaling, feel all the stress and tensions leave your body. Let your chin rest on your chest and relax.
- Remember, all cravings last only five minutes. If you succeed in diverting your mind for five minutes, you can easily give up smoking.
You will not die if you do not smoke. So never give up when you badly feel like smoking. Make it happen, give up cigarettes and live a long and healthy life.