Smokers who want to quit smoking discover that it is more expensive to abandon the habit thus they are more inclined in continuing to smoke. Apart from having to undergo the unpleasant feelings that usually characterize the withdrawal symptoms, many smokers believe that using the most common nicotine-based treatments is just a substitute for the same nicotine addiction they are trying to remove from their system. Nowadays, there are natural ways to kick the habit which are equally good in providing the same results gained from costly and chemical-based pharmaceutical drugs.
Using Natural Remedies as Ways to Quit Smoking
There are a variety of herbs which are useful natural therapies to end smoking. These herbs are effective in minimizing the unpleasant sensations that usually accompany the withdrawal stage. They are the best natural substitutes to nicotine-based replacement treatment because there is nary a trace of nicotine in them. What they do is to produce a similar effect for the brain to recognize as another nicotine substance yet they are safe to use and non-addictive.
The following herbs are the most common ingredients in concocting non-nicotine based replacement products:
• Lobelia – It is a good relaxant producing the same effect that nicotine does on the central nervous system. As nicotine substitute, it stops the brain from craving after sensing that nicotine has already entered the body thus arresting some common withdrawal symptoms such as bad temper, hunger and loss of concentration.
• Ginger – The ordinary looking ginger is good in many different ways. For one, it eases the feeling of nausea and stimulates the sweat gland to produce perspiration required by the body to eliminate toxins from cigarette smoking.
• Peppermint – This herb is a good ingredient for detoxification fusion and has relaxation powers. It stimulates the smoker’s ability to be more focused and attentive.
• Passion Fruit – The passion fruit is the natural remedy for the crankiness one may feel during withdrawal period.
There are two levels of addiction being experienced by a smoker: physical and psychological. Because it involves the mind, the need to address psychological addiction is best overcome by remedies directed to the human psyche.
• Hypnotherapy – This is one of the natural ways to quit smoking wherein a smoker undergoes hypnosis sessions to delve into the subconscious and try to influence the thought about cigarettes. Under a hypnotherapy, the smoker works on fighting against smoking without feeling any deprivation, cravings or struggle. However, this method is more effective for those who believe in it in such way as to allow the brain to rule over the body regarding cravings or desire to take even just a single puff.
• Acupuncture – While it is not a replacement for smoking, acupuncture is considered a natural remedy to manage the withdrawal symptoms. Inserting hair-thin needles at different points around the ear sets the endorphins into actions and allows the body to relax. When cravings are triggered, the patient is advised to gently touch the fine needles to excite the acupuncture points.
Living a Fit and Well-Balanced Life
The moment you stop from smoking, a healthier body emerges from your old self. Maintain your physical condition by eating healthy food and getting enough exercise.
• Healthy Diet – It means feeding on vitamin-rich food. You need to catch up in taking vitamin C as plenty as you can to replenish the vitamin destroyed by smoking. Eating oats can greatly minimize cravings for nicotine while vitamin E is an important antioxidant and vitamin A repairs the mucus membranes damaged by smoking. Grapefruit extract can be used to remedy lung cancer.
• Exercise – It is a free mean to quit smoking yet a great way to divert the ex-smokers’ mind away from smoking until the craving evaporates into thin air. Regular exercise can help tone down the body and develop muscles to allow normal metabolism to take its course. The normal forms of exercise that are effective in averting cigarette addiction are swimming, hiking, biking or running.
Smokers who are dead serious in kicking the bad habit can consider these natural and healthy ways to quit smoking. Apart from being inexpensive, they are also the safest means for those who refuse to undergo the nicotine-based treatment. For them, adding more chemicals while abandoning a nasty habit is not the solution even if it is the last resort there is.