I’ve got to be honest… I enjoy smoking. It’s a pleasurable experience.
Some people enjoy smoking to get relief from stress. Because they enjoy it, they find it difficult to quit. We all know how hard it is to give up our most loved possessions; similarly, giving up a loved habit is hard, too. So let us discuss how to quit when you love to smoke.
Tips To Help You Quit When You Love To Smoke
The desire to quit smoking should come from within; only then can you succeed. If you don’t have the desire or are not planning to quit, then no one can help you. The desire to quit is an important ingredient to quit when you love smoking. However, if you lack the desire, it can be developed by following these simple tips:
1. Prepare a list of benefits that you gain from smoking.
2. Prepare a list of bad things that may occur due to smoking.
3. Prepare a list of why you want to quit. There should be a reason behind your quitting which would keep you motivated to do it.
Reading these lists at least once a day can keep you motivated to quit smoking.
- You can ask your doctor for help in quitting smoking. Ask him to explain to you the harmful effects of smoking and show you pictures of lungs taken of smoker’s body. He may also be able to prescribe drugs that can help you quit.
- After preparing the list of benefits you gain from smoking, analyze it. Consider every item on the list from a non-smoker’s viewpoint. Try to find out how non-smokers fight stress or boredom. The benefits of smoking are temporary and in the long run, smoking has a negative effect.
- Once you have examined your list of perceived benefits, you need to find replacements. For each item on your list of benefits of smoking, write an alternative to smoking as replacement. Suppose smoking helps you to have a sound sleep; you can replace it with exercise. When you feel the urge to smoke, you can pop a piece of chewing gum in your mouth as a replacement.
- If you love smoking, switching to a brand or flavor you don’t like could be a good way to quit. While you smoke, watch yourself in the mirror. Take a good look at your hands and teeth. No one would like you this way. Even your breath stinks when you smoke. Keeping this in mind can help you quit.
Reading stop-smoking guides such as this alone will not help you. You need to take action and follow the above-mentioned steps to quit smoking. No magic will take place without your working for it. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead, create your own magic, and take action in order to quit smoking.